My son's face was cut during c-section. The doctor said it is within the risks of the procedure. Isn't this malpractice?

It . It might be helpful to direct this question to the avvo legal site. This would give lawyers an opportunity to address this question. I hope you so is ok.
Depends. Baby is pushed up close to the fetal membranes and you can't see through them.If the doc took his/her time to gradually open the membranes with a shallow cut, babies are sometimes just beneath and a shallow wound can be produced.If he/she aggressively sliced through & a deep cut happened, it could be considered reckless.Evaluation by a legal team would then be reasonable.Shallow-not really.
Needs expert eval. . There are many risks inherent in all procedures. Whether one particular outcome is is considered to be within the "risks of the procedure" need to be evaluated by a physician considered as an expert in that particular field. You may want to consult a malpractice attorney, who if he feels the results warrantit, will have the case evaluated by an expert in the particular field.