Should i go to the er? The doctor thinks I have mono, i got a mono and strep test done, both coming back negative, but the doctor says a mono test will usually come back negative in the first week. I have sore lymph-nods on my right hip, armpits and neck.

In brief: If

If you are having trouble breathing or if you are having difficulty swallowing liquids(other than pain) you should go to the emergency room. You don't ever want to be in a position that you can not get oxygen.
If you are having symptoms of possible mononucleosis (but you are not in acute distress) you should call your doctor back as he will likely need to re-examine you and get updated history for your new signs and symptoms. You sound like you feel really yucky. Hope you feel better soon.

In brief: If

In brief: Think about it

You have seen a doc who says you probably have a viral illness for which there is no treatment.
S/he also saw no reason to send you to the hospital. ER's triage people with life threatening illnesses to be seen 1st but often are filled by those with simple rashes or colds because they just want a quick fix. If you don't have a life threatening complication you need to follow up with your doc.

In brief: Think about it

Dr. Jonathan Jassey