How soon after finishing radiation therapy for breast cancer should I get a follow-up mammogram?

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

In brief: 4 to 6 months

The side effects of the skin need to heal and breast heals and any scarring internally improve.
That takes 4 to 6 months. Even then that is the baseline mammogram and surgery and radiation changes will be seen. Then future mammograms will show these changes are improving.

In brief: 4 to 6 months

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Varies

I generally get my first mammogram 6 months after surgery of the affected side.
This mammogram acts as a new baseline.

In brief: Varies

This mammogram acts as a new baseline.
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: 3-6 months later

Usually a baseline mamogram is obtained a couple of months after finishing radiation treatments.
By then, most of the acute side effects of skin irritation, inflamation from radiation treatments has subsided.

In brief: 3-6 months later

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham