Is there any kind of relief i can get from my back pain? I have sharp pains running up and down my legs from my waist down. I do have a herniated disk at my l5s1 and have had 3steroid injections in the past 3 weeks. Yesterday my pain started, so my doctor

Dr. Carl Spivak
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Sorry

Sorry to hear about your back and leg pain.
The l5-s1 disk is probably pinching your leg nerves (sciatic nerves) causing leg pain called sciatica. Lumbar disk surgery should be considered if steroid injections have not relieved the pain. Traditionally lumbar disk surgery was done through a large incision with significant muscle retraction, damage and bone removal to get to the disk. Today most lumbar disk herniations can be removed minimally invasively with the spine endoscope. This outpatient surgery is done with a small camera the size of a pen through an incision the size of your finger nail. Most people have quick relief from their pain and decreased recovery. For more information about lumbar disk herniations and sciatica and endoscopic spine surgery please see my health guides. Good luck!

In brief: Sorry

Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Carl Spivak

In brief: You

You need to see a physician who specializes in pain management.
There are a number of options, one of which might be surgery.

In brief: You

Dr. J. C. DiGiacomo
Dr. J. C. DiGiacomo
Dr. Vikram Patel