Advice for removing blood clots from the anal canal? I don't live near a place with a colorectal surgeon, and cannot afford to travel 1000 miles to see one. After being struck by a 5000lb truck at 30mph several years ago, I am finding blood clots stuck i

In brief: Oh

Oh my gosh. Can not in good conscience provide advice on how you should surgically remove anything from your body.
The cause of bleeding needs to be determined. Here is a consideration; rather than driving 1, 000 miles to see a colorectal surgeon, see a general surgeon in your area. That doctor could evaluate and possibly treat. If the general surgeon believes that your medical condition requires a surgeon with even more training in the GI tract, then this is even more reason that the surgical approach should not be handled by someone who is not trained. Bathroom surgery can lead to many complications.

In brief: Oh

In brief: "Blood

"blood clots stuck in the anal canal" sounds hemorrhoids.
Blood clots per se are not firm enough to be "stuck" in the anal canal; a thrombosed internal (or external) hemorrhoid can be. I agree with dr. Fowler that your first stop does not necessarily need to be a colorectal surgeon. I would suggest a visit to your primary care physician for a physical exam. If hemorrhoids are the problem, then a well trained general surgeon will be able to help you. If, however, these are not hemorrhoids but actually are an anal canal mass, then your pcp can put you in touch with the most appropriate expert to help you with this problem. Good luck.

In brief: "Blood

In brief: I

I am not sure if you are describing a hemorrhoid condition.
A general medical physician or a general surgeon should be able to examine you to give you an evaluation and diagnosis of the cause of your problem. Surgery for hemorrhoids, if that is what you have, is not a specifically serious procedure, but should be performed by a properly trained surgeon. There are even some minor office procedures for hemorrhoids, but you need an examination first..

In brief: I

Dr. William Forsythe