Does radiation therapy involve the use of chemicals, or is it like using a ray gun?

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Linear Accelerator
Ray gun. I like that.
Electrons are accelerated towards tungsten and the braking (slowing down of these when they hit) creates the x-rays. Different energies can be made depending on the voltage levels. No chemicals are used. Old days cobalt-60 was a radioactive substance in the machine that gave off these xrays. Its the same kind as xrays for pictures but for therapy the energies are higher.

In brief: Linear Accelerator
Ray gun. I like that.
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: X-rays, no chemical
Usually the form of radiation used is high energy x-rays.
These are produced by high energy linear accelarators. Protons and gamma rays are to name a couple more forms of radiation. There is no chemical.

In brief: X-rays, no chemical
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Andrea Brand