What should I do on lithium? My doctor recently put me on lithium for depression, and i was wondering what foods/drinks I should have, and which I should stay away from. I didn't get time to ask him, so could you guys give me some help?

Dr. Travis Hansen
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: good question

Maintaining your typical diet shouldn't affect lithium levels too much.
Watch your fluid/hydration status. Salt intake and anything that may dehydrate you whether it be a ton of caffeine or sweating outside all day in the summer can have an impact on lithium levels. Just the same drinking a ton of fluid can affect lithium levels. Moderation - salt, fluids, caffeine.

In brief: good question

Dr. Travis Hansen
Dr. Travis Hansen

In brief: Here

Here are some suggestions.
Avoid caffeinated food and beverages. Avoid alcohol. Studies suggest fish oils can help with brain function and behavior. Types of fish that have healthy fatty acids include: herring, mackerel, salmon, trout and tuna. Try to get at least two servings per week or you can consider omega 3 fatty acid supplements with your doctor's approval. General health is important. So avoid large amounts of red meats. You can check for saturated fat and trans fat on food labels, as you want to try to avoid these. Avoid junk food (simple carbohydrates). Eat a well balanced diet to include: fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. Consider soy products and nuts as well. A specific recommendation for lithium is to avoid heavy salting or added salt. Avoid high fat content in your diet as it can slow the absorption of certain medications.

In brief: Here

Here are some suggestions.