Will breast reconstruction leave scars on other areas of my body from borrowed tissue? I have read that in breast reconstruction the doctor may take tissue from my abdomen, thighs or buttocks. I am very self-conscious and wondered if I will be left with a

It usually does. There are 2 main options for reconstructive breast surgery: breast implants or your own tissue. Tissue options involve moving skin, fat, and sometimes muscle, from other parts of the body. These "flap" techniques do leave scars where the tissue was taken from. Another tissue option in select cases is using fat alone which is obtained via liposuction which leaves very small, imperceptible scars.
Depends. The amount of incisions used can vary depending on the type of reconstruction used. Using your own tissues does involve more incisions and scars (made best by your plastic surgeon). Most of the time- borrowing tissues from the abdomen (diep), buttocks (sgap/igap), or thighs (tug) via microsurgical techniques is advantageous as it does not sacrifice functional muscle and the scars are hidden.
There. There are many options available for breast reconstruction. The types of reconstruction are divided into two major groups: 1. Implant based reconstruction - this type of breast reconstruction typically is a multiple stage procedure that places temporary tissue expanders under the breast skin and chest muscle, gradually increases the volume in the expanders with serial injections in the doctor's office, and ultimately replaces the expanders with soft and natural looking breast implants once the tissue is adequately expanded to accommodate the implants. This type of reconstruction does not require surgery on any other areas of your body, because no donor site is needed. 2. Autologous ("your own tissue") reconstruction - these types of breast reconstruction operations use your own tissue to recreate the shape of your breasts. This tissue is most often taken from your lower abdomen, which also gives you the benefit of a tummy tuck. Other donor sites may be your upper back or your upper buttocks. Whenever a donor site is used, there are additional risks and discomfort associated with surgery on the donor site. The benefit of this type of reconstruction is that your own tissue is used, there is no permanent implant required, and the reconstructed breast usually feels very soft and natural. Your board certified plastic surgeon can discuss with you your goals, and help you determine what option will be the best for you. All the best, dr. Skourtis.
Breast cancer. Yes they leave noticeable scars whether it is in the abdomen like a tummy tuck scar or on the inner thigh like the inseam of pants they all leave visible scars.
Not. Not necessarily. There are many options for breast reconstruction. Those that involve using an implant typically do not require additional scarring on the rest of your body. Those that involve borrowing tissue from other parts of your body (typically your back or abdomen) will involve some degree of scarring from the so-called "donor site". Be sure your doctor thoroughly discusses all your options and has lots of pictures for you to review before you make a final decision on which type of reconstruction to undergo.