How do I know if my anteromedial leg pain is a shin splint, & how do to treat it as quickly as possible so i can resume running? Started running 6 weeks ago. Was up to 4 mile runs until this pain got too intense to continue. I think the pain is slightly m

Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: PEMF

Pulse electromagnetic therapy works very well for periostitis.
I had a personal injury due to trying to lift a microwave and scraped this on my shin. The induration and hematoma immediately got better with pemf but the induration lasted total of 10 days. In addition you might need cat's claw and essential fatty acids to relieve pain. Handheld pemf device is available from http://almagia.Com.

In brief: PEMF

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Sports Medicine

In brief: The

The pain could be several things.
The most severe would be a stress fracture. This is usually manifested by very localized tenderness, as opposed to other causes which would be more generalized pain. "shin splints" and other inflammatory issues such as periostitis and medial distal tibial stress syndrome can be just as painful, but are less serious as they generally do not lead to more severe complications. If left untreated, a stress fracture in the tibia can progress to a full blown fracture. The best thing for you to do is have an xray and an evaluation from an orthopedic surgeon. Not all stress fractures will show up on an initial xray, and sometimes bone scans or mris are needed if indicated. Regardless of the diagnosis, cross training with lower impact exercise is suggested (swimming, aqua jogging, biking, elliptical, etc.).

In brief: The

The pain could be several things.
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine