I've had groin pain come and go twice in the last week, each episode lasted a few days. About a week ago i was standing and talking and suddenly had a weird pain in my groin. It progressively got worse throughout the day. I couldn't walk without limping

Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: Another

Another possibility, although you mentioned that you did not think this was related to exercise, is that this could also be the sportman's hernia or sports hernia, gilmore's groin or groin disruption, is a medical condition of the groin affecting athletes.
Following physical activity, the person may be stiff and sore, the following day, getting out of bed or a car may be difficult. Any exertion that increases intra-abdominal pressure, such as coughing, sneezing, or sporting activity can cause pain. In the early stages, the person may be able to continue playing their sport, but the problem usually gets progressively worse. As pain in the groin and pelvis can be referred from a number of problems, including injuries to the lumbar spine, the hip joint, the sacro-iliac joint, the abdomen, and the genito-urinary system, diagnosis of athletic pubalgia requires skillful differentiation and pubic examination in certain cases where there is intense groin pain.

In brief: Another

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung

In brief: You

You may have a groin hernia or groin strain.
You ought to go see a surgeon to be examined properly.

In brief: You

Dr. J. C. DiGiacomo
Dr. J. C. DiGiacomo
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine