Could radiation therapy for my prostate be making me incontinent?

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology
In brief: It is possible
This is unusual to occur as radiation may cause impotence but incontinence is not as common.
I have seen it occur with brachytherapy (seeds) more often than in external beam. However patients were on the elderly side, over 75. More commonly the patient has a concurrent infection during or after radiation that when treated the incontinence resolves. Also if you have a TURP afterwards its likely.

In brief: It is possible
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Bladder Outlet
Obstruction- boo - before treatment is an indicator of who might benefit from TURP before, and signals to me who should not have seed implants.
Urinary control is partly related muscles, nerves and blood vessels, and tumor issues of invasion upward to bladder neck. Time for cystoscopy to assess anatomy and cause.

In brief: Bladder Outlet
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Not likely
Radiation for prostate cancer can acutely lead to increased urinary frequency, urgency, and sometimes pain or burning with urination.
It is not common for radiation to lead to urinary incontinence either acutely or long term.

In brief: Not likely
Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Dr. Gene Wong
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Unusual
If the prostate has never been violated before particularly transurethral resection of prostate (TURP) or prostatectomy, it is unusual to develop leaking after radiation be it implants or external beams.
Radiation sometimes can cause scarring which may cause mild urinary obstruction rather than incontinence.

In brief: Unusual
Dr. Gene Wong
Dr. Gene Wong
Dr. Jack Hinkle