I have acid reflux and take zegerid (40 mg) daily. Recently, I am experiencing a tightness in the middle of my chest. I have no other symptoms

Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: Zegerid

Zegerid is a combination of Omeprazole (a proton pump inhibitor antacid) plus sodium bicarbonate as a quick relief antacid and helps to protect Omeprazole while in transit thru the stomach.
It is used for patients with ulcers, gastritis and gastroesophageal reflux (heartburn). Chest tightness can be from a variety of reasons and needs better characterization. It can be from a gastrointestinal cause, such as gastroesophageal reflux, but can also be due to cardiac reasons, such as angina or a heart attack, or from lung problems, such as asthma, as well as from musculoskeletal problems. If this tightness has not been usually associated with your heartburn, then i suggest that you seek medical attention to make sure that this is not cardiac in nature. Since you do not provide any information about other medical conditions, history of risk factors for heart problems, such as smoking, elevated cholesterol levels, diabetes, hypertension, i cannot give you an indication of likelihood of any of these diagnosis.

In brief: Zegerid

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. Andrea Brand