Will intense pulsed light (ipl) technology get rid of my varicose veins? I have a few large reddish-purple varicose veins on the inside of my left leg just lower than my knee. They bulge out and are so ugly. I feel uncomfortable wearing shorts or skirts t

Dr. Ellen Dillavou
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: What

What you are describing sound like large telangectasias or spider veins, or may be true varicosities - it is hard to tell without looking at them. These are in a common location and can be due to reflux in the great saphenous vein or reflux from a perforating vein.
In any case, you should probably have a full evaluation from a vascular surgeon or licensed phlebologist before having them treated. If they are a symptom of a larger problem (like the afore-mentioned reflux) they are unlikely to go away with pulsed light or even injection until the causitive problem is treated. In general, injection is probably more effective than pulsed light for larger veins.

In brief: What

Dr. Ellen Dillavou
Dr. Ellen Dillavou
Dr. Nick (Donald) Morrison
Yes, getting rid of these veins is a process. Venous Doppler ultrasound vein mapping, treatment with in office minimally invasive procedures to seal the refluxing veins, then treat surface skin veins, then laser for only tiny red veins left at the end.
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: Vein closure is best

Ipl is not going to eliminate varicose veins but it may help with spider veins although sclerotherapy would be a much better choice.
The gold standard for varicose veins would be a reflux venous ultrasound to identify any leaking valves in the saphenous system followed by closing them with either a laser or radio frequency catheter and, perhaps, microphlebectomies of the varicosities.

In brief: Vein closure is best

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. George Clark
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: IPL

Probably not, except on the face.
Better option is sclerotherapy once issues of possible vein reflux have been evaluated.

In brief: IPL

Probably not, except on the face.
Dr. George Clark
Dr. George Clark
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Probably not

If you have veins that are bulging, it is likely that they are too big to be treated with ipl.
They are other treatments that are liely to be more effective though. I would see a phlebololgist (vein specialist) for a treatment recommenation.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery