I am having problems sleeping and it seems that the pills the doctor have given me are not working. I have the ccap machine also I have been to the doctor at least 7 times for this problem and i still can't sleep at night. I would go to sleep and sleep j

In brief: Do

Do you use your CPAP machine every night ?- if not this is recommended.
Have you been reevaluated to ensure that the CPAP setting is still appropriate for your needs ? - if not, this should be done. Medications and CPAP are only part of the equation to getting good sleep. Here are things that i go over with my patients. We determine if there are issues that to need to be improved upon with their sleep hygiene. 1. Maintain a regular bedtime and awakening time schedule including weekends. Get up about the same time every day, regardless of what time you fell asleep. 2. Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine. Relaxing rituals prior to bedtime many include a warm bath or shower, aroma therapy, reading, or listening to soothing music. 3. Sleep in a room that is dark, quiet, comfortable, and cool; sleep on comfortable mattress and pillows. 4. Use your bedroom only for sleep and sex. Have work materials, computers, and tvs in another room. 5. Finish eating at least 2-3 hours prior to your regular bedtime. 6. Avoid caffeine within 6 hours; alcohol & smoking within 2 hours of bedtime. 7. Exercise regularly; finish a few hours before bedtime. 8. Avoid naps. 9. Go to bed only when sleepy. Lay in bed only for sleeping, not for work or watching tv. 10. Designate another time to write down problems & possible solutions in the late afternoon or early evening, not close to bedtime. 11. After 10-15 minutes of not being able to get to sleep, go to another room to read or watch tv until sleepy. Are you seeing a sleep specialist to assist with your sleep medications? If not, your problem may be complex enough that this step would be warranted. Have you considered chinese scalp acupuncture to assist with sleep? A very simple three needle techique is quite safe and can be effective as an adjunct to your treatment. I hope some of this is of help. Good luck.

In brief: Do

Dr. Andrea Brand