Are obesity and diabetes connected? My wife needs to know

Dr. Elizabeth Lyster

In brief: There

There is absolutely a connection between obesity and diabetes.
In fact, as we see more people becoming obese at younger ages, we are seeing the diagnosis of diabetes go up alarmingly, even in teenagers and now in children. I am referring here to non-insulin dependent diabetes (niddm). Insulin-dependent diabetes, referred to as juvenile onset diabetes when it is diagnosed in younger people, has less of a connection with obesity, although patients with niddm can end up needing Insulin if the blood sugar cannot be controlled with oral or other injectable medications. So, it is essential to reach and maintain a healthy weight in order to avoid diabetes and its resulting huge list of potential health complications.

In brief: There

Dr. Elizabeth Lyster
Dr. Elizabeth Lyster
Dr. Lionel Handler
Dermatology

In brief: Certainly.

Certainly. Obesity significantly increases your risk for diabetes.

In brief: Certainly.

Dr. Lionel Handler
Dr. Lionel Handler