I have blister rash on my left arm, a little on left back, and right arm. Now my kids have the chickenpox. Do I have shingles? I went to urgent care and the said it is not shingles because it is also on my right arm. But it looks like it and it hurts and

Dr. Frances Dyro
Neurology

In brief: You

You know the old saying: "if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it is".
Varicella zoster, the technical name, results when a person who has had chicken pox has it re-activated later in life. While the rash is usually in the distribution of one nerve root, bilateral cases have been reported but they are rare. The rash of vz is typically a blister the itches and burns. The rash of scabies consists of a very itchy collection of tiny blisters that, in people with good hygeine, may be seen on the spaces between the fingers or on the legs. It lasts until treated. Vz often starts with pain and then a few days later the erruption of blisters that dry up after a week or two. It is really unlikely that you and your girls have two different things. I know of cases where an adult caring for a child with chicken pox had an attack of vz afterwards. Children without immunity to chicken pox can catch them from an adult with vz. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is usually not very helpful. In vz the treatment if caught early may be an antiviral drug. For the pain, Gabapentin or Pregabalin are prescribed. Most doctors suggest the zostavax injection to prevent vz in people over 60 because the incidence of post herpetic neuralgia increases with age. Good luck! i know what it feels like.

In brief: You

Dr. Frances Dyro
Dr. Frances Dyro
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine