Why have my fillings not protected my teeth from further damage such as breakage and chipping etc? I had fillings in my upper and lower molars many years ago, and I thought that would have arrested further damage to those teeth. However, over the last few

There . There are many ways a tooth can be damaged and have enamel chip away. One of them is the decay that was taken care of by the filling. Other ways include normal usage over time, night-time teeth grinding or clenching and oral habits like chewing on hard surfaces such as ends of pens. Also, if the filling was very large before, that means less healthy tooth structure is left-over. The more healthy tooth structure remains on a tooth means that tooth is stronger than one that has less healthy tooth structure left. With these combined factors, it may result in further breakdown of the already-filled teeth. It may be recommended to ask your dentist to see if you have oral habits such as grinding or clenching causing unnecessary stress on your teeth.
Fillings, . Fillings, or for that matter, any dental restoration should not be expected to last forever. Your restorations were done many years ago, and it may now be time to replace some of them. Through normal wear and use, your teeth are chipping in the weaker areas. Although you are not experiencing pain, it does not mean you should ignore this. Those openings will allow food and bacteria to settle in areas you cannot clean, which will result in decay and possibly more extensive treatment. It is less expensive and time consuming to replace a filling than it is to wait for a tooth to hurt; by that time you might need root canal therapy and a crown. I suggest you seek out a dentist near your home who can better advise you of what treatment might be needed.