Can radiation therapy lead to carotid artery blockage?

Dr. James Urbanic
Radiation Oncology
In brief: I do not agree
Radiation to the head and neck area could potentially increase the risk for carotid artery disease years after the treatment.
I routinely discuss this risk with my patients whom are being treated for a head and neck cancer. Unfortunately, the treatment with radiation is necessary for their disease so the risk of treatment is outweighed by the benfits.

In brief: I do not agree
Dr. James Urbanic
Dr. James Urbanic
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
It is clearly associated, unavoidable, and something to monitor in survivors beginning 1 year after treatment
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Not likely
Radiation causes vessel injury and small arteries are damaged while other vessels are created.
Arteries can get harder and scarred. In a larger vessel like the carotid these changes can take place but to completely block is not likely. There would have to be very high levels above normal such as in a case perhaps retreated. One more likely worry in that situation would be carotid blowout.

In brief: Not likely
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Depends on age
Chang in a 2009 paper suggested that in a study scoring atherosclerotic plaques in the carotids in patients after XRT that while patients less than 41 at the age of tx had a higher correlation those patients older than 50 actually had a negative correlation with plaque scores.

In brief: Depends on age
Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Dr. R. Scott Anderson
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology