Selsun blue for my baby's fungus? My husband took our 6 mo old baby to the pediatrician and didn't get a lot of details...I know the md said the flaky scalp & some dryish looking spots on his body are fungus (didn't say what kind). He recommended selsun b

Dr. Joy Jackson

In brief: The

The pediatrician is referring to a condition called seborrheic dermatitis.
It presents as flaky scalp (appears like dandruff) and dry patches on the skin. The cause is unclear. Some doctors believe it is due to a rare yeast. Treatment includes shampoos selsun blue. I usuallly tell parents to use a very small amount 2-3 times per week until they see an improvement. Also, brush your baby's scalp with a soft brush to loosen the flakes. If the selsun blue does not work ask your doctor for an alternative treatment. To answer the last part of your question, no you dont have to let it sit on the skin or scalp, just wash in usual fashion; lotion is fine. If the spots look more red after use and it persists then discontinue and consult your doctor. If it returns to previous state then no need to worry. Take care.

In brief: The

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Joy Jackson
Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Cradle cap

Since it has been established that cradle cap is caused by a fungus, i recommend the use of 1percent Nizoral (ketoconazole) shampoo available over the counter.It is easy to apply, and smells nice.

In brief: Cradle cap

Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Charlene Sojico

In brief: Sounds like

Your six months old baby has cradle cap, very common in babies this age.
Just like you described it. Simply apply vaseline ointment on the scalp, massage it in, leave it for 30 minutes to soften up the crust, comb w fine tooth comb, shampoo, rinse it off.Repeat as often as needed. Yes, it's messy, hair do come off , not to worry. Doing nothing hair will come off too& worsened the rash on face & body!

In brief: Sounds like

Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Jonathan Jassey