What can cause alloderm graft failure? I am thinking about alloderm for esthetic dental work, following advise by my dentist. I need a gum graft on my front two bottom teeth. He explained the procedure to me, it looks pretty safe but he mentioned that gra

Dr. Thomas Marxen
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: What is your goal?

Is your goal to add gum or connective tissue below the recession or cover exposed root.
The answer to this question will determine the technique and graft material. Covering avascular root surface is not 100% predictable no matter what technique is used.

In brief: What is your goal?

Dr. Thomas Marxen
Dr. Thomas Marxen
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Technique

Trauma, infection, premature loss of sutures and others.
It is relatively routine.

In brief: Technique

It is relatively routine.
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
Dr. Gregory LaMorte
Dr. Julio Garcia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: The

The most frequent cause for alloderm to dissolve prematurely is infection or the material getting exposed to the air and drying out.
As long as both of those are avoided, it should perform well.

In brief: The

Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Many reasons

Gum grafting in these situations is not 100% successful.
Your general health, any medical conditions such as diabetes, infection, poor oral hygiene, accidental displacement, inadequate blood supply, less than ideal technique, and sometimes just the luck of the draw all play a role in the success or failure of this procedure. Trust your dentist or find one that you do.

In brief: Many reasons

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Inflammation

These grafts require meticulous oral hygiene to keep them free from inflammation and infection.

In brief: Inflammation

Dr. Robert Tupac
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dr. Arman Dayan
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Not complying!

Alloderm grafts are sensitive during the healing phase.
Follow all instructions!

In brief: Not complying!

Follow all instructions!
Dr. Arman Dayan
Dr. Arman Dayan
Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Trauma

The most common cause of failure of an allograft is trauma to the wound area during the critical first week of healing.
These grafts are durable and work well but are very sensitive to their blood supply being disturbed. The two front teeth are a very small area and most of the time, the best choice for this area, is to use your own tissue which is more resilient to trauma.

In brief: Trauma

Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dr. Jason Cataldo