Why do some surgeons prefer scissors to laser to labiaplasty or the other way around? I am a 45-year-old female, and I am scheduled for labiaplasty surgery in two weeks. How long is the recovery for either method? Is any particular method associated with

Labiaplasty. Lasers and other instruments are simply tools for doing a procedure. Some tools work better than others for certain jobs. I use lasers for various techniques, but not for labiaplasty as I believe it causes more pain and scar tissue than simple plastic surgical methods.
It. It is a personal preference, there is no documented advantage to one over the other, although some physicians use the laser to make it sound newer or more up to date.
Labiaplasty. Labiaplasty is a straightforward procedure that can achieve nice results with either a traditional tissue removal or with a laser directed procedure. The choice of procedures is made based on discussion with your surgeon about his/her experience and preferences. Usually, there is mild to moderate discomfort for about a week, but as the tissues rapidly heal and swelling subsides, you will get back to feeling comfortable. I typically instruct my patients to avoid strenuous physical activity and aerobic exercise for 4 weeks following the procedure. Sexual activity can usually be comfortably and safely resumed 6-8 weeks following the procedure, when tissues are well healed. All the best, dr. Skourtis.
Simply preference. Surgeons who use either methods have demonstrated excellent results. Physicians who use scissors claim less thermal injury and prompt healing. Whereas others who use lasers feel that it does not "crush" the tissue. Lasers and scissors do not necessarily stop bleeding, so with either technique cautery may still be needed to control bleeding.