Why can't my doctor remove deep fat through liposuction? My doctor said i had a lot of deep fat that he would be unable to remove through liposuction. Why can't he remove the deep fat as well as the superficial? What is the difference between the two type

Dr. Julio Garcia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Deep

Deep fat, or visceral intra-abdominal fat is below the muscles and around our vital organs such as the liver spleen and stomach and removing that fat with liposuction can potentially injure those organs causing serious complications including death.

In brief: Deep

Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Joseph Mele
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: If

If you define superficial fat as the fat we can liposuction and deep fat as fat we cannot get to.
I would have to guess that your doctor is talking about fat inside the abdomen. This fat is behind the abdominal muscles and is intertwined with the intestines and other organs that would be injured by liposuction in this area. I do not usually call this deep fat, i call it fat that cannot be treated. Within the superficial fat that we can liposuction, there are also two layers. When plastic surgeons refer to deep fat pockets, they are often referring to localized pockets of fat in front of the muscle fascia but deep to the superficial fascia. These areas are the safest places to liposuction. The most superficial fat has the highest risk of leaving dents, and requires the greatest skill.

In brief: If

Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Joseph Mele
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not Safe.

Your doctor was referring to fatty tissue below the muscle layer of the abdomen.
This tissue sits in between intra-abdominal organs which can be injured, potentially causing life-threatening problems. Therefore, the only adipose tissue accessible to liposuction surgery is subcutaneous fatty tissue just below the skin and above the muscle layers.

In brief: Not Safe.

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Inside the abdomen

He probably meant fat in the abdomen.
That fat is reduced through weight loss. Liposuction only removed the fat under the skin not inside the abdomen.

In brief: Inside the abdomen

He probably meant fat in the abdomen.
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Azita Madjidi