Is predcort ds oral liquid safe for a 5 year old boy? I have a 5 year old son I took him to the doctor about 3 days ago the doctor said he have allergies and prescribe predcort ds oral liquid, is that a safe medication for his age, what are the side effec

Safe when limited. Oral steroids are often needed in young children with severe allergy symptoms. They are generally given for only a few days. A short treatment generally may not cause any long term effects, but during treatment there may be some hyperactivity and increased appetite. A long term treatment plan to control allergies to avoid the need for oral steroids recurrently should be formulated by your MD.
Typically . Typically I do not prescribe steroids for children who have allergies, unless it is in conjunction with an asthma exacerbation, or the child had a pretty serious allergic reaction. If your child is suffering from seasonal allergies (itchy eyes, throat, sneezing) you can give him daily children's Claritin (loratadine) or zyrtec. On the other hand if your child has a more serious issue that calls for steroids, then 3 to 5 days should be enough to help calm down the process. As far as the dosage, you will have to confirm with the doctor, it is based on your child's weight. Side effects should be minimal if any, you can also discuss this with his doctor. Take care.