Can radiation therapy help to treat colon cancer that's spread to the liver or kidneys?

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

If the disease is limited and original colon cancer addressed focal intense radiation called radiosurgery can be very effective.
If there is significant disease then standard radiation can be used to help symptoms.

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Radiation Oncology

In these cases radiation would be used as a palliative treatment as opposed to a curative one.
Depending on the size, location, number of lesions, the patient' s performance status, and other factors radiation can be a very effective treatment. Sometimes stereotactic body radiation can be used on the liver. Also, some patients may be candidates for microspheres treatment for the liver.

Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Dr. Mitchell Kamrava
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Treat?

Cancer spread like this is not usually treated for cure, but to relieve symptoms.
Always ask "how is this going to help me", "what are the side effects" and more we have to ask: "is it worth what it costs?" i tell my patients these things, but often offer whether i would do it if it were me getting it done. Little benefit of XRT to liver/kidney, so use is puzzling.

In brief: Treat?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery