3 days ago had my blood drawn and my bicep feels like its ripping, burning. What could be wrong? 3 days ago i had 4 tubes of blood drawn out of my arm (where the arm bends in front of the elbow). Nurse took blood from the middle of my arm but the blood

Dr. John Fung
Surgery

In brief: I

I assume you had your blood drawn from the bend in the elbow, known as the antecubital space.
The biceps tendon inserts into the forearm bone, the radius. On occasion, the needle can pass thru the front of the vein and then the back of the vein. During the period where the tourniquet is on, when the needle is pulled back (since you cannot get blood when the tip of the needle is thru the vein), then the hole in the back wall of the vein will bleed, but the blood will be contained in the space where the biceps tendon is. Afterwards, this causes pain and swelling. Over the next few days, like any bruise, the blood will break down, causing discoloration around the elbow area. Heating pads applied to the area will speed up the reabsorption of blood.

In brief: I

Dr. John Fung
Dr. John Fung
Dr. Vicken Poochikian