Do I have to be cleared by my doctor to play basketball? I had a hand laceration on the top of my hand that severed my pinke and wrist tendon and had to have them surgerically repaired. I had a check up yesterday and the doctor says they are healing fine

Dr. David Hardin
Wound care

In brief: Definitely

These injuries need to be healed completely with therapy for strengthening and stabilization before starting basketball.
The statement doing well doesn't mean it's done healing just progressing as expected.

In brief: Definitely

Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin

In brief: Oh

Oh my gosh. You are writing into a doctor column to ask if you should or should not follow the advice of your orthopedic surgeon? You surgeon is the person who knows the most about your injury, your surgery and the risks at this stage of the game.
Since none of the doctors responding to this column have examined you, i think the best advice you can be given is to follow your doctors advice. I know you may not be happy with this answer because you really want to play basket ball now; but by following your doctors advice it could prevent further complications down the road.

In brief: Oh

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine