How do you know if you have appendicitis? I felt some thing rip by my appendics and it was a sharp pain then i got light headed.

In brief: If

If you had one sharp and no pain or other symptoms since then, it is not likely to be appendicitis.
Many times the pain from appendicitis can start near the belly button or in the upper abdomen. The pain could move from those locations down toward the bottom, right part of your abdomen. If the pain is from appendicitis it is likely to get worse with time. You could develop a fever. Nausea and vomiting are common and the normally you lose your appetite. You might even notice some swelling of your abdomen. Some other possible symptoms include abdominal cramps and pain with urination. There are other causes of abdominal pain besides appendicitis. If you have the symptoms described above or you have severe abdominal pain that is not improving, i suggest you go to the emergency room. I hope this is helpful.

In brief: If

Dr. Leon Katz
Bariatrics

In brief: Most

Most episodes of appendicitis results in a ruptured appendix if this is not taken care of in the first 36 hours.
It appears that your question was asked almost 48 hours ago so at this point you are either feeling a little bit better or you're in severe pain and you really should come to the emergency room. The safest answer is for you to see your local medical doctor for your piece of mind.

In brief: Most

Dr. Leon Katz
Dr. Leon Katz

In brief: I

I agree with all the others.
You describe a "rip" feeling that does sound more like muscle strain injury. Appendicitis is often associated with an overall ill feeling, not wanting to eat, nausea, vomiting, and sometimes a fever. It is associated with gradually worsening abdominal pain over several hours. The pain may start in the middle of the abdomen and then move to the right lower abdomen. Appendicitis pain usually does not start suddenly.

In brief: I

I agree with all the others.
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. David Shapiro
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: I

I think you mean you had pain in the right lower abdomen.
The cause depends on many factors including; was the pain related to strenuous exercise or lifting, a meal, other straining perhaps with bm. Did it last more than a few minutes or did it persist and become worse? Did you have nausea and vomiiting or other intestinal symptoms? Was there a bulge like a hernia? In short, you need to visit a physician.

In brief: I

Dr. David Shapiro
Dr. David Shapiro
Dr. Peter Lydon
Surgery

In brief: This

This is not appendicitis.
Typical patients with appendicitis develop mid abdominal pain over a few hours that later localizes in the right lower abdomen. It may be a muscle strain.

In brief: This

This is not appendicitis.
Dr. Peter Lydon
Dr. Peter Lydon
Dr. Vikram Patel