Is dermabrasion efficient for old tattoo removal? My right shoulder tattoo is about 5 inches in diameter and was made 10 years ago when i was about 20. It has significantly faded. I am a healthy male and i don't have any medical conditions that I am aware

Dr. Glenn Messina
Aesthetic Medicine

In brief: It will scar

The safest method is laser tattoo using a q switched laser. The trauma of a dermabrasion had a much higher potential to create a scar. A good doctor using the proper laser an proper settings should have no trouble with your tattoo provided it is not multicolored.

In brief: It will scar

Dr. Glenn Messina
Dr. Glenn Messina
Dr. James Seward
Dermatology

In brief: Typically

Typically a tattoo is removed via laser.
The laser targets the particular pigment of the tattoo, breaks it up and then the body can more easily "dissolve" the pigment. I hope that helps.

In brief: Typically

Dr. James Seward
Dr. James Seward