What particular type of nose job is required for correcting excessively wide nostrils? I am a 35-year-old female and my physical appearance is quite important for my career progress. I would like to have a nose job to correct wide nostrils. I am otherwise

Dr. Suzanne Galli
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Rhinoplasty

there are many maneuvers in rhinoplasty that can affect the shape of your nostrils.
Discuss these issues with your surgeon and be sure your surgeon is a board certified facial plastic surgeon with expertise in these procedures.

In brief: Rhinoplasty

Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. Suzanne Galli
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Weir excision

Sometimes nasal base surgery alone can correct wide nostrils.
See a rhinoplasty surgeon for a consult.

In brief: Weir excision

Dr. David Sherris
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. Benjamin Cilento
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: When

When the base of the nose is wider than it should be, a nostril reduction may be required.
This occurs more commonly among ethnic rhinoplasty surgery such as african american rhinoplasty, asian rhinoplasty, hispanic/latino rhinoplasty, or middle eastern/mediterranean rhinoplasty surgery. Generally, most surgeries remove a wedge of tissue at your nostril base and quite often can be done from the inside part of the nostril, not from where the nostril attaches to the cheek. Although sometimes it is necessary to make an incision on the outside of the nostril as well... The procedure is sometimes called a weir excision. This technique can narrow your nostril bases, reduce the length of your nostril sidewalls, and make your nostrils smaller, depending on the design of the wedge excisions. The best way to see what procedure is right for you is to make an appointment with a board certified facial plastic surgeon and see what he/se recommends... Hope this helps -bwc.

In brief: When

Dr. Benjamin Cilento
Dr. Benjamin Cilento
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: Wide

Wide nostrils can be improved using techniques to remove tissue from the alar bases.
A wedge excision is one common way to do this. Some patients also benefit from the removal of some tissue from the floor of the nostril area as well. It is possible (though not required) to have this type of limited surgery done in the office with an injection of numbing medicine. Sometimes other nasal tip modifications (improve the projection for example) are also indicated to help create a narrower looking nose. You can check out my link below for more information about nostril narrowing.

In brief: Wide

Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Julio Garcia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Depending

Depending on what is causing the width, whether too much nostril sill or excessive lower lateral cartilage, both can be reduced by removing some of the tissue on both sides, but they will leave small scar. The scars usually heal well and you look pretty good after 7-10 days, the first few days there is some swelling of the upper lip.

In brief: Depending

Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham