If I happen to be pregnant and I am taking birth control will it hurt the baby? I am late on my period which has never happened in my life- I am taking tri-sprintec birth control and have for a very long time. I never miss a pill. I took a pregnancy tes

Good . Good news! if you take your birth control pills every day around the same time every day without missing any, you have a less than 1% chance of being pregnant. There are many reasons for a woman to miss a period besides pregnancy such as stress, excessive weight loss, dieting, excessive exercise, or a hormonal imbalance such as polycystic ovarian syndrome or thyroid disorder. (the hormonal imbalances are less likely for you since you are on the pill). Start your pills as you normally would. Even if you are in the 1% that gets pregnant on the pill, taking the pill won't hurt the baby. If you are still concerned about pregnancy, you can either take a home pregnancy test as long as it has been 5-6 weeks since your last normal period for 97% accuracy. You may have taken your home pregnancy test a little too early. If you are pregnant or continue to have irregular periods, give your doctor a call.