Can mammograms detect all kinds of breast cancers?

No. 10 to 15 percent of breast cancers can not be seen on mammograms even if a mass or other finding is physically identified. For that reason women are told to examine themselves monthly and see their doctor for an exam yearly or more if they have prior history of breast cancer that was treated.
No. Mammograms are only one tool to detect breast cancers. Lobular breast cancers, which make up 15% of breast cancers, and inflammatory breast cancers are often not seen on mammogram. I tell patients there are three parts to detecting breast cancer: 1. Self-exam monthly 2. Breast exam by healthcare professional yearly, and 3. Mammogram yearly after age 40.
Most. Mammograms are the gold standard for breast cancer screening, but they are not 100%. In addition to yearly mammograms, you should be having a clinical breast exam performed by a physician.