Does hyper and zoning out go with depression? My daughter is depress, and is upset since living with her father. She just met him. She is 15 years old and has not seen him since 2. She has written letters to me how misable she is. How she feels her father

Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Focus on Supporting

Wow, a huge adjustment! if she hasn't had a relationship w/her father since age 2, i imagine she has no real attachment 2him. It might feel like she's suddenly living w/a stranger. If this living arrangement is permanent & u r not able 2modify it, consider focusing on what u can do 2support her+ help her adjust as well as possible.
Kids don't like being caught in the middle. Try 2keep this in mind.

In brief: Focus on Supporting

Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Teen depression

Depression in teens can be different from depression in adults.
I would encourage you to facilitate her getting into therapy to talk about all she is going through. Talk to her father if you can about your concerns.

In brief: Teen depression

Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Barbara Lavi

In brief: I

I believe I have read some previous questions from you.
It really sounds like there is a lot of friction in the family. I will try to respond to one part of your question. Zoning out can be a form of dissassociation. There are lots of ways that people can dissassociate. One example would be day dreaming if you are bored in a math class. Another common form of dissassociation would be driving for several miles without paying attention and suddenly you realize you have driven farther then you realized. People can dissassociate when they are feeling upset, so that it blocks upsetting feelings.

In brief: I

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham