Can I get radiation therapy for breast cancer if I have a port-a-cath in place?

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology
The mediport is used for chemotherapy and the patient may also need radiation.
It should have been placed on the opposite side to not interfere with radiation. If not it can always be moved or removed.

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
You can have radiation therapy with a portacath if it is not in the radiation "field" (the area where radiation will be given.
) usually portacaths are placed on the side opposite the breast cancer. If yours is on the side where you will receive radiation, the port site under your skin might need to be moved. Ask your radiation oncologist.

Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Adam Levy