I tested positive for TB when i was 10 years old. I took medications but did not complete them. Now, almost 20 yrs later. At age 10, i tested positive for tb. Now, almost 20 yrs later, I have had recurring symptoms. Could they be related? Should i contact

Dr. Sanober Butt
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Well..

Well.. You have a lot of non specific symptoms.
Mycobacterium TB have a potential to re activate at any point in life even if properly treated upon diagnosis. Now you did not complete the course of treatment which puts you at risk of re activation tb. Question for you is if you had active TB or latent tb. If you had active TB you would have received 4 drug treatment but if you were a latent TB case you would have been treated with one drug for 9 months. In either case if you have any doubts of reactivation of TB you should see a pulmonologist or an infectious disease specialist to look in to your case. They may need a skin test ( also called PPD skin test) , 2 view chest x ray ( as most active TB starts in lung) and blood test including but not limited to complete blood count or cbc. Immunosuppression is a risk factor for re activation of latent tb. If you have recurrent infections you should look into checking your immune system. Although i must say that your symptoms are very nonspecific and a lot of other conditions besides TB can cause those.

In brief: Well..

Dr. Sanober Butt
Dr. Sanober Butt
Dr. Cindy Juster