How long after my mastectomy will i be able to return to running? I enjoy running in road races with my family. Once I have my mastectomy, how long before i can begin training and running again? Is there a time period that i won't be able to exercise or c

Dr. Dariush Vaziri
Breast Surgery

In brief: A few weeks

You may start light exercise in 1-2 weeks.
You may gradually increase activities over the next 4-6 weeks. To reach full activities it may take about 2-3 months. However other factors need to be taken into consideration such as reconstruction, any untoward complication and if there is any need for chemotherapy. Your surgeon will be able to give you more specific answers based on your situation.

In brief: A few weeks

Dr. Dariush Vaziri
Dr. Dariush Vaziri
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Sports Medicine

In brief: This

This question really should be answered by your general surgeon or plastic surgeon, not by an orthopedic surgeon as the issue is not with your joints/muscles.
It will depend largely on how your incisions are healing (deep tissue and skin).

In brief: This

Dr. Brian Chimenti
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Dr. Jane Van Dis