When going in for sclerotherapy, how many veins can be done at one time? I have a large number of varicose veins on my legs. Can a person have sclerotherapy done on both legs at the same time and on a number of veins or will it require multiple appointmen

Dr. Julio Garcia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Although

Although both legs can be treated at the same visit, it is common to require sessions in the future.

In brief: Although

Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Douglas Joyce
Phlebology

In brief: Depends

I firmly believe that a venous work up should be done in cases of varicose veins before treatment.
Most often we find an underlying problem that is causing what you see on the skin. This should be addressed to limit recurrence and actually treat the real problem. See a vein specialist.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Douglas Joyce
Dr. Douglas Joyce
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Sclerotherapy

Commonly sclerotherapy is done in more than one session, especially if both legs need to be treated.
If you have a large number of bulging veins in your legs it is important that your legs be evaluated properly before treatment. I would recommend that a venous ultrasound be done before any treatment is considered. A visit to a phlebologist (vein specialist) for an evaluation would be good.

In brief: Sclerotherapy

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: Venous eval. first.

Sclerotherapy can be done on both legs at one time.
However, if you have extensive spiders, then you will most likely need multiple treatment sessions. I routinely do both legs at the same time unless each leg is extensive, then I do each separately. Also , if you have varicose veins with spiders, then you should have a venous reflux sonogram before treatment and see a vein specialist.

In brief: Venous eval. first.

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery