Is it safe to take nicotine replacement therapy while pregnant or breastfeeding?

Yes. The best choice is to avoid nicotine exposure to the baby if possible, but compared to smoking, it is a much better option. Studies have shown dramatic short- and long-term risks to the developing baby when exposed to all the chemicals in tobacco. Carbon monoxide in smoking is far more dangerous than nicotine replacement, and can cause decreased oxygen levels to the baby's developing brain.
Nicotine replacement. Nicotine replacement therapy is a category c medication. This category is defined as drugs which, owing to their pharmacological effects, have caused or may be suspected of causing, harmful effects on the human foetus or neonate.