I never know when my period comes my period are irregular all the time. Some times its at the end of the month, other times its at the beginning, sometimes I have it twice a month. I always search online for symptoms, and can never get a clear answer. I g

Dr. Laura McMullen

In brief: When

When did you first start your period? Within the first 2-3 years of starting a period, a young woman may not have regular monthly ovulations which can lead to an irregular period.
This is completely normal and nothing for you to worry about. Over the next few years, your period will become more regular. If you did start your period more than 3 years ago, there are other reasons besides pregnancy that can cause a woman to miss a period such as: stress, diet, excessive exercise or a hormone imbalance such as with a thyroid disorder or polycystic ovarian syndrome. You've got 2 reasons to call your doctor - #1 for the irregularity of your period and #2 to discuss birth control if you are sexually active and not interested in becoming pregnant. Your doctor will take a thorough history and physical and may run some tests to find out why your period is irregular. Often your period can be regulated (and you can be protected against pregnancy!) by using hormonal birth control such as the pill or depo shot. Good luck!

In brief: When

Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Laura McMullen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham