Am i halucinating or am i just paranoid? I was recently removed from my mother's house where i was abused physically and mentally. I currently live with my grandparents in a nice safe neighborhood. They have alarms on the doors and cameras around the hous

In brief: Even

Even if you have just moved to a safe neighborhood, it doesn't mean that your fears are going to vanish.
If you have a history of being mentally and physically abused it is likely to make it difficult to trust that you are safe. Many things can act as triggers- people, places, things, smells, flavors. Part of a post traumatic response is to be overly reactive to certain cues. Your fight or flight system is likely to be over-sensitive, so you may panic more easily. Additionally, if you experience a flashback, you may hear things that aren't there or you may mistake actual sounds for something else. You might see things that aren't there during an episode of reliving, or you might have an illusion. An example of an illusion is seeing an electric cord but mistaking it for a snake. Nightmares and difficulty with sleep are common. Checking and rechecking that windows are closed and that doors are locked is also common (especially at night). This does not mean that you are crazy. The mind has unusual ways of dealing with trauma. If you are not getting mental health care already, please let your grandparents know what you are experiencing so that they can get you good care with a pschologist and a psychiatrist. I wish you well during your healing process.

In brief: Even

Dr. Eric Weisman