I broke my thumb below the ip joint on rt hnd three weeks ago , no surg was needed when can I start to move it a gamers splint was orderd to also cover ip joint

Dr. Monica Wood
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: Every

Every fracture has what we call a "personality".
Some are very stable and require little immobilization. Others are unstable and require casting or surgery. The treatment is partially determined by the fracture location and pattern and partially to your age and activities. Most bony healing takes about 6 weeks, though some bones, like the tibia, take significantly longer. Usually we want to see evidence of bone healing on x-rays before allowing unrestricted motion of a broken bone. Your treating physician should have another appointment scheduled to re-check the x-rays and determine if you're ready to move the thumb again.

In brief: Every

Dr. Monica Wood
Dr. Monica Wood
Dr. Marsha Davis