Why don't I get my period? I'm 19 and not sexually active. I get my period once every three or four months and it's extremely painful. I can't even stand because the pain is so bad. What could this be?

When. When did you first start your period? Within the first 2-3 years of starting a period, a young woman may not have regular monthly ovulations which can lead to an irregular period. This is completely normal and nothing for you to worry about. Over the next few years, your period will become more regular. If you did start your period more than 3 years ago, there are other reasons besides pregnancy that can cause a woman to miss a period such as: stress, diet, excessive exercise or a hormone imbalance such as with a thyroid disorder or polycystic ovarian syndrome. You've got 2 reasons to call your doctor - for the irregularity of your period and for the pain you experience. Your doctor will take a thorough history and physical and may run some tests to find out why your period is irregular. Often your period can be regulated (and be made less painful!) by using hormonal birth control such as the pill or Depo-Provera shot. Good luck!