Are the radioactive seeds for prostate cancer uncomfortable?

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Radiation Oncology

In brief: No.

Having done 1300 cases I am really qualified for this question.
The patient has the seeds placed under anesthesia...Its the needles that would have been painful. Once the seeds are placed the needles are removed and the patient is awakened. The seeds that remain are not felt. The catheter can be removed also but most leave it for 24 to 72 hours and that can have minor discomfort.

In brief: No.

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Bahman Daneshfar
Dr. Lawrence Hochman
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Not terribly

The seed procedure is done under anesthesia so the patient is not awake and doesn't feel the actual insertion of the seeds.
Following the procedure the patient usually has a catheter in the bladder for up to a few days that can be uncomfortable. Usually there is urgency and frequency in urinating for several weeks with rare pain.

In brief: Not terribly

Dr. Lawrence Hochman
Dr. Lawrence Hochman

In brief: Seeds

No, after the initial implantation one cannot tell they are there.

In brief: Seeds

Dr. Howard Usitalo
Dr. Howard Usitalo
Dr. Carl Van Wey
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Radiation seeds

There is usually no sensation caused by the seeds once they are implanted.
The radiation they give off however, can cause some temporary burning sensation on urination.

In brief: Radiation seeds

Dr. Carl Van Wey
Dr. Carl Van Wey
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Should be!

The seed implant tends to increase lower urinary tract symptoms, especially in the first three months.
It's best to have few symptoms to start. There is no pain after the procedure in most. My patients tell me they rarely use pain medicine that i provide.

In brief: Should be!

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: No

Usually not, they can cause irritation of urethra for a short period of time that can be discomforting.

In brief: No

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Jack Hinkle