Can scar revision work to remove keloids? I have a bump on the top of my ear from when i had the cartilage pierced several years ago. I have been told it is a keloid. Can scar revision remove this bump permanently? .

Dr. Robert Brueck
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Keloids

Keloids can be very tough to treat.
One might want to consider an injection of a steroid first to see if it will shrink.If not then surgery is the first choice and many times at the time of surgery iwill inject soem steroids while I am closing.Followup is so critical so at the first sign of a recurrence you can have it injected.Wwwbeautybybrueck.

In brief: Keloids

Keloids can be very tough to treat.
Dr. Robert Brueck
Dr. Robert Brueck
Dr. Ronald Achong
Great answer. I agree 100%
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: ?1.Yes, ?2. Maybe

Scar revision works extremely well for hypertrophic as well as keloid scars if performed by well trained, experienced physicians.
For keloids especially, the treatment may include other modalities as well including pressure, steroid injection and in recurrent keloids, radiation rx. Scars, unfortunately are a permanent sequela of injury but your plastic surgeon will try and make it the least visible.

In brief: ?1.Yes, ?2. Maybe

Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Facial Plastic Surgery

In brief: I

I agree with what dr. Brueck said.
Keloids do have a high recurrence rate, but this can be reduced by preventative injection of medication after your procedure.. There is research showing that a combination of 5-fu and kenalog (triamcinolone) (steroid) works well in these situations. 5-fu works to slow the activity of the skin cells (firboblasts) that help produce scar tissue.

In brief: I

I agree with what dr. Brueck said.
Dr. Thomas Lamperti
Dr. Thomas Lamperti

In brief: Another

Another option to consider, is scar deactivation or scar injection by a medical acupuncturist.

In brief: Another