Is myasthenia gravis a reason to withhold ultrasonic liposuction procedure? I would like to have ultrasonic liposuction of my buttocks. I suffer from myasthenia gravis, and I am concerned about the ultrasound somehow affecting my muscles. What should I kn

In brief: No reason not

Certainly, myasthenia gravis scares many doctors, but really a simple issue.
If your meds are keeping you stable, and you are not in either cholinergic or myasthenic crisis, with good pulmonary functions, there is no reason to not get procedure. But have surgeon and anesthesiologist familiarize themselves with drugs which can affect neuromuscular junction, and avoid those if possible.

In brief: No reason not

Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Procedure Possible

Patients with well-controlled myasthenia gravis are able to undergo all kinds of plastic surgical procedures.
Good communication with the anesthesiologist will be necessary to ensure avoidance of certain drugs. Best wishes.

In brief: Procedure Possible

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: No

Myasthenia is not a contraindication for liposuction, ultrasonic or else as long as it is well treated and is under control.
You will need to get medical clearance prior to your liposuctiion.

In brief: No

Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Donald McCarren
No but if you are going to receive anesthesia you should meet with the anesthesiologist prior to the procedure to avoid certain agents.
Dr. Julio Garcia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: The

The ultrasonic liposuction will not affect the myasthenia but you need to alert the anesthesiologist so they can avoid certain medications.

In brief: The

Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Julio Garcia
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: The

The ultrasound is unlikely to effect the muscles if performed by a skilled and experienced practitioner. However, the severity of your condition is important as is notifying your primary care giver or phsyician overseeing treatment of your mg.
Probably the most important consideration is your response to anesthesia and the perioperative managment. Discuss this with your managing physician, surgeon and anesthesiologist.

In brief: The

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Eric Weisman