Will I hurt myself if I drink alcohol while i'm taking zoloft (sertraline)?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: Maybe.

Every drop of alcohol is a depressant, and you are taking an antidepressant---that doesn't make sense.
Also, there are isolated reports of patients having blackouts with very little alcohol.

In brief: Maybe.

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: No

Zoloft, or sertraline, is an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medicine that works on the brain chemical serotonin.
In general if you have problems with depression or anxiety, alcohol is likely to worsen your symptoms and make medications like sertraline less effective. So it doesn't hurt you, it just decreases or eliminates the effectiveness of your medicine.

In brief: No

Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash