Why does the packaging say you have to take escitalopram for at least 6 months?

Dr. Barbara Srur
In brief: Relapse is likely
Because once your depression improves, it takes time for your brain's neurotransmitters to readjust.
It is a common mistake to discontinue anti depressants once the symptoms improve which often leads to relapse of the depression. I actually recommend a minimum of nine to twelve months of medication after the patient returned to their baseline functioning.

In brief: Relapse is likely
Dr. Barbara Srur
Dr. Barbara Srur
Dr. Samuel Miles
In brief: Avoid relapse
If an andtidepressant is effective, and it is discontinued within 6 months, there is a better than 50-50 chance of relapse.
Wait longer than 6 months, and the risk of relapse declines.

In brief: Avoid relapse
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Samuel Miles
Dr. Eric Weisman