When should I have to go to the er, with an ear infection? Should I give the antibiotics more time?

Most . Most ear infections can be seen in the doctor's office setting, call an otolaryngologist, i.e. Also known as an ear, nose and throat or ENT doctor. Most can be managed with a decongestant and/or antibiotics, depending on an examination of the ear. There are two types of ear infections: otitis media, also known as a middle ear infection, occuring in the area between the eardrum or tympanic membrane and the inner ear, including a duct known as the eustachian tube. The other is otitis externa, also known as "swimmer's ear", which is usually a fungal or bacterial infection of the ear canal and may become painful and/or tender to touch. In rare cases, when the patient is a elderly diabetic or on immunosuppression, including steroids, a more severe type of outer ear infection, known as malignant otitis externa can be life threatening with progressive bacterial infection of the external auditory canal, extending into the mastoid sinus and into the base of the skull and is caused by a virulent and difficult to treat bacteria, pseudomonas aerugenosia. If in doubt, you can go to the emergency room.
If . If you were given an antibiotic, i presume you are under the care of a physician. Most antibiotics will take up to 72 hours to work. If you do not respond, you may need a change in antibiotics. If you are in contact with your physician, then there is no need to go to the er unless a true emergency or something unexpected occurs such as high fevers over 101.5f or central nervous system signs, severe pain, chills, night sweats, etc.