My left eyelid is swollen shut, may be a sty. I sometimes getstyes, but not this bad. What should I do?

In brief: Since

Since the cause is not known, i suggest you get it checked out.
It could be caused by a number of things to include an allergic reaction, a viral infection, a bacterial infection or even sinus problems. It could be a stye gone wild. I think, by your description that there may be some significant swelling. If that is the case, your doctor can make sure you do not have orbital cellulitis. Try not to pick at your eye in the meantime.

In brief: Since

Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology

In brief: I

I would urge you to see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.
It may be self-limiting and resolve on its own. Consultation can rule out more serious issues. The eye lid is not anatomically far from the brain and infections of the lid can spread to the brain.

In brief: I

Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. John Kim
Ophthalmology

In brief: You

You should be seen by an ophthalmologist to find the cause and treatment.
In mean time, minimize touching the eye and apply cold compress.

In brief: You

Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kim
Dr. Keegan Duchicela