How to treat diahrrea? 2 1/2 days of diahrrea, now green in color, some stomach cramping, just returned to us from asia.

In brief: I

I do not know the cause of your diarrhea.
It is very important that you do not allow yourself to become dehydrated. The way to stay hydrated is to drink lots of fluid. You can drink water, broth or clear juices. (although some doctors recommend only water for the first 12 hours). Try to avoid acidic juices like orange juice or tomato juice. Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages like coffee, soda or tea. Stay away from alcohol as well. Avoid dairy products early on. It is sometimes recommended that you drink only fluids for the first 12 hours before moving on to solid foods. Although some the brat diet has fallen out of favor with some, it was a real help to me with my last bout of gastroenteritis. It consists of b (bananas), r (rice), a (applesauce) and t (toast). Recommend staying away from vegetables and fruits that are full of fiber in the beginning . Avoid chocolate and beans. Did you eat from street vendors or drink water that was not bottled while you are in asia?Depending on what country or countries you visited, the water standards can be quite different. If your diarrhea is not clearing up, recommend that you see your doctor to ensure you that you don't have more than your garden variety stomach bug. Good luck.

In brief: I

Dr. Arnon Rubin