What will happen to me if I forgot to take my antidepressants one day?

Dr Susan Uhrich

In brief: Depends

The half life of the medication dictates how fast it gets out of your system. At least one antidepressant has a weekly pill.
Other medications get out faster and can cause some discomfort. Which medicine are you on?

In brief: Depends

Dr Susan Uhrich
Dr Susan Uhrich
Dr Donald Hazlett

In brief: Varies with the med.

The most important factor is what medication you are taking.
Some are more prone to withdrawal symptoms than others. Venlafaxine may have issues even with one dose skipped. Paroxetine is a close second. Others cluster closely with each other. Buproprion is generally less likely than others to be a problem. Individual exceptions occur so psychiatric meds should all be stopped gradually to be safe.

In brief: Varies with the med.

Dr Donald Hazlett
Dr Donald Hazlett
Dr Bennett Machanic